Sophia's House, the newly renovated guest house designed to serve the needs of patients and their families while they receive treatment at Saint Mary's Health Care, opened June 4, 2012.
Named in honor of lead donor Peter M. Wege's mother, Sophia Louise Wege, the $3.5-million Sophia's House is a three-story home with comfortable accommodations and multiple furnished rooms that allows guests to be near their loved ones receiving care at the hospital.
The former St. Luke's House, located on the corner of Lafayette Ave. SE and Cherry St. SE across from The Lacks Cancer Center, features:
- 15 guest rooms with private baths (family suites and barrier-free guest rooms are available upon request)
- Living spaces designed to provide comfortable areas for relaxation
- An exercise room to help guests recharge and maintain their fitness regime
- Well-equipped kitchen with stove, refrigerator, and microwave
- A communal dining area for family meals
- Lounge areas with books and magazines
- A family game area with a Wii Game System and popular board games
- Wi-Fi access and a communications center with computer/printer access
- Complimentary laundry rooms
- Convenient, free parking
- An outdoor patio and small garden
- Tobacco-free environment
"Saint Mary's serves many patients outside of the greater Grand Rapids area," said Michelle Rabideau, executive director for the Saint Mary's Foundation, who led the community capital donor campaign. "Sophia's House will help serve the approximately 25 percent of patients whose care requires an overnight hospital stay who come to Saint Mary's Health Care from more than 30 miles away. Patients may stay the night in the guest house if they have an early morning surgery — their car is already parked, they get a good night's rest and they just walk across the street to the hospital."
Patients who have confirmed treatments or procedures can reserve a room at Sophia's House in advance. Patients may also come in the night before a procedure and stay at Sophia's House.
An overnight stay is $35 per room. Reservations can be made by calling 616-685-5700.
Click here to view a photo tour of Sophia's House.
Sophia's House in the News
Read the news release about the opening of Sophia's House.
Watch a WZZM 13 video story about the opening of Sophia's House.
Sophia's House wins LEED™ Gold Certification
Check out the Sophia's House updates on the Wege Foundation website.
Make a Gift to Sophia's House
Interested in making a gift to support Sophia's House? Click here to learn more about how to donate.