Mercy Health Saint Mary's History Timeline
1893 - The Sisters of Mercy establish Saint Mary's Hospital with 15 patient beds in the former McNamara home at 145 south Lafayette.
1898 - Saint Mary's Hospital Training School for Nurses opens.
1898 - A three-story addition is added to the hospital, doubling the number of beds to 30. Cost $10,000.
1911 - A new 75-bed hospital is build at the corner of Cherry and Lafayette streets at a cost of $65,000.
1914 - X-ray Department opens.
1918 - Laboratory Department opens.
1919 - Outpatient Clinic opens.
1926 - $650,000 expansion, now the center portion of the McAuley Building, increases beds capacity to 220.
1935 - Nursing schools from Mercy Hospitals in Bay City and Muskegon merge with Saint Mary's Hospital School to establish Mercy Central School of Nursing, headquartered at Saint Mary's.
1953 - The south wing of the McAuley Building is added, raising the number of beds to 358.
1962 - Xavier Hall opens to house the Mercy Central School of Nursing.
1963 - Short stay Medical Surgical Unit established.
1965 - Inhalation Therapy Department opens.
1965 - Ambulatory Care Unit opens.
1965 - Saint Mary's announces a plan for new facilities in the Washington Square Urban Renewal Area to meet future development needs.
1967 - Saint Mary's opens its Hemodialysis Unit.
1970 - Construction begins on a seven year, four-phase hospital expansion.
1971 - Physicians and friends create the Doran Foundation for Medical Education and Research to fund hospital projects in honor of Dr. Frank Doran.
1972 - Phase II building of the Professional Office Building begins.
1972 - Lentini Health Center opens.
1973 - Saint Mary's becomes the principal sponsor of a community-wide family practice residency program and takes responsibility for developing a model Family Health Center.
1973 - The new South Building opens; total cost of project is $15.5 million.
1974 - The Professional Office Building opens; total cost of project is $2.54 million.
1977 - Phase IV of the hospital is completed. Total bed capacity stands at 370.
1982 - Grant Hospital merges with Saint Mary's Community Health Care System.
1983 - The Cancer Program and the Breast Center at Saint Mary's are established.
1984 - The hospital opens its new, single-story Rehabilitation Services addition.
1985 - Saint Mary's first Health Park begins operation in Wyoming.
1986 - The Michigan Athletic Club joins Saint Mary's Community Health Care System.
1987 - Amicare Home Health Resources is added to Saint Mary's Community Health Care System.
1987 - Care Choices HMO coverage begins.
1988 - Saint Mary's opens Heartside Clinic.
1989 - The hospital opens a satellite kidney dialysis unit in Zeeland, Michigan.
1989 - Saint Mary's establishes an HIV clinic as part of Heartside health services.
1990 - Saint Mary's opens Clinica Santa Maria at the Hispanic Center of West Michigan.
1990 - The Regional Cancer Center is opened in Saint Mary's Medical Office Building.
1990 - McAuley Clinic for HIV/AIDS opens at 550 Cherry Street SE.
1990 - In a joint venture with Pine Rest Christian Hospital, Saint Mary's opens its highly innovative Psychiatric Medical Unit. The 20-bed unit serves patients whose primary diagnosis is psychiatric, but who also have a concurrent medical problem.
1990 - Saint Mary's dedicates the Living Center, a 207 bed nursing facility.
1991 - Saint Mary's opens its Giggle & Grow Child Care Center.
1991 - Saint Mary's performs its 500th kidney transplant and is rated one of the top 50 kidney transplant centers in the nation.
1992 - Saint Mary's Spine Center opens.
1992 - Renovation of outpatient surgery, pre-admission testing and operating rooms is completed.
1993 - The hospital's Regional Dialysis and Kidney Transplant Center celebrates its 20th anniversary as well as its 600th transplant. Saint Mary's remains the only area hospital with organ transplant capabilities.
1993 - Saint Mary's Breast Center celebrates its 10th year anniversary. As of September, 1993 the Center has performed 100,000 mammograms.
1994 - Saint Mary's Health Services employs around the clock intensivists. Created inpatient and outpatient psychiatric units at Kent Community Hospital.
1995 - CEO Nancy Hart resigns and David Ameen is brought aboard.
1995 - The construction of the Peter M. Wege Center for Health & Learning begins as a result from major funding from the family of Peter M. Wege. Cost $16.1 million.
1996 - Construction of future site of Clinica Santa Maria begins on the corner of Franklin and Grandville. Construction funds are provided through $1.1 million in charitable gifts.
1996 - Completion of the Kidney Dialysis Unit renovations.
1997 - Expansion of Advantage Health Primary Care facilities throughout Grand Rapids.
1997 - Creation of the Browning Claytor Health Center at the corner of Madison and Hall. Named in honor of two outstanding African American physicians who provided care in the Grand Rapids area in the 1930's. Again, creation of the center was provided through $1 million in charitable gifts.
1997 - Mary Free Bed and Saint Mary's form a joint venture to provide rehabilitation services.
1997 - Certificate of Need is received from the Michigan Department of Community Health to execute a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for Saint Mary's Health Services.
1997 - The 310 Lafayette Building is opened.
1997 - Grand opening of the Clinica Santa Maria on the corner of Franklin and Grandville.
1998 - 98% approval rating received from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations evaluation.
1998 - Grand opening of the Peter M. Wege Center for Health & Learning.
1998 - Saint Mary's begins planning renovations in the maternity department.
1999 - Saint Mary's Health Services changes the organization's name to Saint Mary's Health Care.
1999 - Saint Mary's Health Care receives a $10 million dollar challenge grant from the family of John P. Lacks and Richard J. Lacks, Sr. to build a cancer hospital.
1999 - CEO David Ameen resigns and Joyce Helms is assigned as interim CEO.
1999 - Purchased Sparta Family Health Center. The new center provides health care to migrant workers as well as the year round community.
1999 - East Hills Athletic Club and Orchard Hills Athletic Clubs are purchased.
2000 - CEO search is successful and Philip H. McCorkle Jr. is hired as President and CEO of Saint Mary's Health Care.
2000 - Browning Claytor permanent site is opened.
2000 - Two MRIs and a Linear Accelerator are installed in Radiation Oncology.
2000 - The Doran Foundation is re-incorporated and renamed the Saint Mary's Doran Foundation for Charitable Gifts.
2000 - The Emergency Department undergoes a major upgrade to improve quality of care to patients of Saint Mary's.
2001 - Permission is granted to raze the McAuley Building to make way for the Richard J. Lacks, Sr. Cancer Hospital.
2002 - McAuley Building is demolished.
July 2002 - The Radiation Oncology team performs its first Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) treatment on a patient with head and neck cancer, and then on a patient with lung cancer.
November 2002 - The PET/CT Collaboration between Saint Mary’s Health Care and Spectrum Health makes possible the purchase of West Michigan’s first PET/CT scanner.
December 2002 - LEED Certification is sought for The Lacks Cancer Center, requiring the structure to be built and be operated under certain environmentally friendly guidelines.
March 2003 - Saint Mary’s Health Care’s medical physicist leads a partnership with Grand Valley State University. Tewfik Bichay, PhD, medical physicist at Saint Mary’s, was asked to co-develop a baccalaureate degree program in Radiation Therapy.
September 2003 - Baccalaureate degree program in Radiation Therapy launches at Grand Valley State University.
October 2003 - Grand Opening of Hauenstein Parkinson’s Center.
July 2004 - Saint Mary’s helps Grand Valley State University launch successful radiation therapy major to address local and national shortages.
August 2004 - Saint Mary’s receives approval from the Michigan Department of Community Health to perform coronary angioplasty, expanding Saint Mary’s heart services.
August 2004 - Saint Mary’s Cardiac Cath Lab receives new state-of-the-art hemodynamic monitoring system. The Calysto Series IV digital front-end system takes advantage of the latest digital signal processing technology.
September 2004 - Saint Mary’s Health Care launches new brand with tagline: “Expect Something More.”
September 2004 - Kevin Brader, MD, gynecologic oncologist, comes to Saint Mary’s. Brader has practiced, trained and taught at many of the nation’s premier medical centers. His expertise contributes to Saint Mary’s dedication to meet the growing demand of women’s health care in Grand Rapids.
November 2004 - Saint Mary’s fully implements electronic medical records, which unites all physicians on a single computer system hospital-wide.
2005 - Saint Mary’s recruits two neurosurgeons, Steven Klafeta, MD, and Jürgen Lüders, MD. These two specialists bring new hope for brain injury and epilepsy patients, as well as patients with spinal and movement disorders.
January 2005 - Physicians at Saint Mary’s Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology earn national recognition from the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA)
January 2005 - The Lacks Cancer Center, West Michigan’s only comprehensive cancer hospital, opens its doors to patients.
January 2005 - The Lacks Cancer Center opens its TomoTherapy Center of Excellence, becoming one of only 20 in the world.
January 2005 - The multidisciplinary, comprehensive Epilepsy Program begins seeing its first patients.
February 2005 - Concept for The Hauenstein Center as the premier, comprehensive neuroscience center is drafted.
March 2005 - Saint Mary’s begins partnership with the Van Andel Research Institute, specifically regarding research with the Parkinson’s Center.
May 2005 - Saint Mary’s launches first Lean initiative to streamline processes and improve efficiencies.
July 2005 - Saint Mary’s Southwest project breaks ground in Byron Center Township.
October 2005 - First-ever angioplasty is performed at Saint Mary’s Health Care.
October 2005 - The Lacks Cancer Center is named the big winner in the 2005 Associated Builders and Contractors 2005 Construction Awards Competition.
December 2005 - Gift of Life Foundation honors Saint Mary’s for exceeding the organ donor conversion rate of converting potential donors to actual donors.
2006 - The procedure for deep brain stimulation (DBS) is first performed at Saint Mary’s Health Care, helping patients by reducing or completely eliminating the effects of Parkinson’s Disease.
January 2006 -The Lacks Cancer Center at Saint Mary’s receives LEEDä Certification, becoming only the second hospital ever to garner this award.
February 2006 - First reverse shoulder replacement in West Michigan is performed at Saint Mary’s Health Care by specialists from River Valley Orthopedics.
May 2006 - Physicians of Advantage Health Physician Network, Saint Mary’s primary care physician network, were honored with the distinguished Governor’s Award of Excellence for Improving Care in the Ambulatory Care Setting.
May 2006 - “Ream and Run” shoulder replacement surgery is performed at Saint Mary’s by specialists from River Valley Orthopedics. It is practiced by only a handful of surgeons across the country.
June 2006 - Groundbreaking ceremony for The Hauenstein Center.
July 2006 - Epilepsy Monitoring Unit at Saint Mary’s opens its doors with four beds and Saint Mary’s new epileptologist, Adriana Tanner, MD, from the Cleveland Clinic.
August 2006 - Saint Mary’s appoints director of Research and Innovation.
January 2007 - Purchase of the da Vinci Surgical System, supported by The Tom & Mickie Fox & Family Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery.
January 2007 - Saint Mary’s Health Care and all affiliates initiate a Tobacco-free Campus policy, prohibiting tobacco use on its grounds.
February 2007 - Saint Mary’s Southwest opens in Byron Center, introducing seamless health care to patients. Within a single facility, patients have access to primary care physicians, lab tests, specialists and pharmacists who all collaborate to ensure a positive and worry-free patient environment.
May 2007 - Saint Mary’s HealthLink, Heartside Office moves to northwest corner of Wealthy and Division.
September 2007 - Saint Mary’s jointly hires Christopher Glisson, DO, MS, a neuro-ophthalmologist, together with Michigan State University.
October 2007 - The only ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) MDA-certified center opens in West Michigan, thanks to the collaboration of Saint Mary’s Health Care, Mary Free Bed and Michigan State University.
November 2007 - Tewfik Bichay, PhD, medical physicist at Saint Mary’s, receives patent for doorless vault entry for radiation oncology treatment, under the number 7,291,854. Bichay’s patented design has been in operation since the opening of The Lacks Cancer Center in January 2005.
November 2007 - Michigan State University (MSU) finalizes their agreement for an alliance with Saint Mary’s Health Care. This alliance creates opportunities for joint recruitment and hiring of specialists and sub-specialists, space at Saint Mary’s for MSU medical students and for better allocation of community and financial resources.
December 2007 - Saint Mary’s HealthLink, Browning Claytor Office implements Electronic Medical Record, the same system that has been used successfully at Saint Mary’s.
2007 - Master Campus Plan is unveiled, revealing Saint Mary’s commitment to greatly increasing and improving the green space, pedestrian-friendly walkways and aesthetics of the downtown campus.
January 2008 - Saint Mary’s Kidney Transplant Program performs its 1,500th kidney transplant.
February 2008 - Dedication of the MDA-certified ALS Center for Saint Mary’s Health Care, Mary Free Bed and Michigan State University.
June 2008 - Saint Mary’s Long-term Care, Home Infusion and Retail Pharmacy move to the Cathedral Square, on the corner of Wealthy and Division.
August 2008 - Jamie Caughran, MD, fellowship-trained breast surgeon joins Saint Mary’s as medical director of the Comprehensive Breast Center.
February 2009 - Grand Opening of The Hauenstein Neuroscience Center.
August 2011 - Saint Mary's Health Care becomes part of the new Mercy Health, West Michigan's most patient-focused health system. Mercy Health was formed in 2011 when Mercy Health Partners in Muskegon and Saint Mary's Health Care in Grand Rapids entered into a partnership with other West Michigan health care providers to bring greater access to services and personalized care to the region.